I decided on a project this week and I really enjoyed creating this. The sponsor for this week at For Fun Challenges is Craft Brulee and each of the Design Team members received wonderful lace and flowers from Jennifer’s shop to do the challenge.
I found this ornamental twig bird-cage in the garage and decided to alter it to a butterfly twig cage as a table decoration for my Mum’s birthday tea-table. This was challenging as I had to create flowers that will compliment the lace flower from Craft Brulee. I decided on the fluffy paper flowers made from brown paper bags, old newspaper and magazine pages. I learned this technique from a You Tube video uploaded by Ellen Rose Saturino. You can view the video here. I really love the green and blue colour of the flowers caused by the printer’s ink. I was amazed how striking this paper flowers blended in with the glass pebble and lace of the Craft Brulee flower. I used pink paper roses as centers and added pink Stickles to the edges of the paper circles.
I decorated the twig cage with one Craft Brulee lace flower, six fluffy paper flowers with pink paper rose centers and 2 gold paper leaves. I attached strips of cardstock, punched with a Martha Stewart punch “Doiley lace”, to the base and middle of the cage. These I decorated with small paper butterflies, lace and strings of pearls. The edges of the paper strips were distressed with Tim Holtz distressed ink “Vintage Photo”. Two larger paper butterflies complete the centerpiece. I am entering my project for the following challenges:
- Polka Doodles Week 33 Challenge – Vintage Style
- Craft Your Days Away CYDA Challenge #2 – With Wings
- A Pocket Full of Posies Challenge #5 – Winged Things
- Flutter by Wednesdays #119 – Anything Goes (with butterflies)
- One Stop Craft Challenge #94 – Not a Card
The four fluffy paper flowers with the lace flower on top of the twig cage with two gold leaves and strings of pearls.
The detail of the base of the twig cage with the lace from Craft Brulee, two fluffy paper flowers and the small paper butterflies:
I used the following to create the project:
- Old ornamental twig bird-cage
- Lace (available from Craft Brulee)
- Cream and pink vintage style lace flower with glass center (available from Craft Brulee)
- Old newspaper and magazine pages for fluffy paper flowers
- Pink paper roses for centers
- Two gold paper leaves
- Strings of pearls
- Martha Stewart punch “Doiley Lace”
- Spellbinders Nestablities die “Scalloped circles” for the paper flowers or scalloped edge scissor
- Cuttlebug dies “Butterflies” for large butterflies and “Naturals” for smaller butterflies
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink “Vintage Photo” and “Tattered Rose”
- Stickels “Pink” for edges of the paper flowers
Hope to see your card or project at the For Fun Challenges this week. You can create anything, card, layout or altered art, but there must be ribbon and/or lace on your creation. Craft Brulee sponsored an awesome prize for the lucky winner. At the For Fun Challenges blog there are beautiful projects from the other talented ladies with the wonderful Craft Brulee flowers and lace. – worth a visit.
Have a wonderful week and happy crafting.