If you like all things spooky and scary, For Fun Challenges is the blog to be this week. The theme is to create a Halloween card and add something with googly eyes. I have never made a Halloween card as this is not a well-known event in South Africa. A tradition in South Africa is to tell ghosts stories and there are quite a few of these scary stories which is passed on from generation to generation, for example Lucy, who never checked out of her hotel room in Matjiesfontein and the ghosts of The Castle of Good Hope, one of the oldest and most haunted buildings (according to narration) in South Africa. If you like to shiver you can always visit the top ten scariest places in South Africa. In the early 1960’s the Afrikaans radio station always broadcasted ghost stories and legends on Wednesday nights. I was about 7 years old and can still remember how scared I was listening to these stories. Sometimes when the story telling was over my Mum asked me to fetch her knitting bag from the bedroom. As I grew up on a farm in the Bushveld without any electricity, we made use of candles. As I walked bravely into the dark bedroom, I got so scared of the “ghosts”that, by the time I got back to the lounge, I was completely out of breath and the candle was out as well! I just ran so fast that there was only a thin trail of candle smoke behind me! Thus, my card for this week is a sort of memory of those happy childhood days long ago, scary or not. I made use of a lot of digital freebies for this challenge: the adorable ghosts image is from Spyder’s Corner (Trick or treat), the spooky sentiment is from Nizzy’s Art Factory and the bats from I Love Clipart.
I enter my card for the following challenges:
- Spyder’s Corner October Digi Challenge – Use any of Spyder’s beautiful digi’s, freebies or bought from the store images.
- Fuzzy and Fancy Friday Challenge #21 – Halloween
- Craftalicious Challenges #10 – Anything Goes
- Bee Crafty Challenge #40 – Halloween
- Cupcake Craft Challenges #112 – Scary Creatures
- Ellephantastic Challenges #15 – Anything Goes
- Stamp, Scrap and Doodle Saturdays – Halloween or Fall Project
I used the following to create the card:
- Black, purple, orange and white cardstock
- Free digital image “Trick or Treat” (Spyder’s Corner )
- Free digital sentiment “Spooky greetings” (Nizzy’s Art Factory )
- Free digital clip art “Bat” (I Love Clipart)
- Paper daisies
- Nestabilities round die for moon
- Tim Holtz Alterations On the Edge die “Scrollwork”
- Twinkling H2O’s for colouring
- Googly eyes for bats
Have a wonderful week.
Greetings from a warm South Africa,