The challenge at Sugar Creek Hollow this fortnight is to create a mixed media project or card in the vintage or shabby chic style. Your card or project must reflect lots of different techniques and media like textures (such as lace, paper, texture paste) and embellishments (resin, chipboard, metal etc.). All the designers have created beautiful projects to inspire you and we would love to see your creations at Sugar Creek Hollow this fortnight
I decided to make two canvases in a shabby chic style. As this type of project was a first for me I must admit that it was a learning curve. For the background I used techniques such as masks with glimmer mist and acrylic texture paste, aquarelle pencils and layering with designer paper, doilies and antique lace. For embellishments I chose from a wide range of media. The focus point is a charming resin cherub holding a little bird. This I purchased from our local Crazy Store for a quarter of the price in comparison to resin embellishments in craft stores!. Originally it was a wall hook but my dear husband altered it without any damage to this charming embellishment. I did some wet embossing with PSX embossing powder on the weathered clock, swirl corners and banners. The resin and metal embellishments, paper flowers and chipboard birds are all coated with a layer of gesso, glimmer mist and distress inks for the shabby look. The two canvases are going to be mounted together on glass and then framed in a large white wooden frame to fill up the space where I want to display it in my craft room.
- Country View Craft Challenges #4 (ends 06/30) – Die Cuts
- Unruly PaperArts June 2013 Reader Art Quest 2 (ends 06/25) – Shabby Chic in 3D
- WordArt Wednesday Challenge #84 (ends 06/19) – Anything Goes
- In The Pink Challenge #22 (ends 06/ ) – Pink with Flowers
- ABC Challenge (ends 07/01) – P For Pretty In Pink
You can click on the first picture for a better view of all the details and embellishments on the canvases. All supplies I used are listed below.
The canvas with the cherub and weathered clock. The background was first colored with Lyra-Rembrandt Aquarelle pencils and then layered with designer paper, antique lace and doilies
A close up of the wet embossing on the clock
The chipboard bird and layered doilies
The canvas with the sentiment. The letters were cut with a Sizzix Sizzlits die “Cute as a Button Alphabet”. The dots and swirl at the top and bottom were done with acrylic texture paste and a stencil. The background on the left hand corner was done with a mask and Cosmic Shimmer vintage mist “Antique Rose”. I added white painted resin corners to the edges of the banners.
A close up of another chipboard bird, flowers, the fence and part of the Spellbinders corner swirl ‘”Garden weave”
The bird-cage decorated with pearls and tiny rose buds, more distressed flowers and a metal embellishment painted with gesso
- 2 Artist canvases, size 5″ x 7″, 100% cotton, 380 g/m2
- Designer paper of color choice
- Paper doilies
- Cherub embellishment
- Chipboard birds
- Metal embellishments
- Resin corners
- Prima (“Coventry Rose Romantique”, “Belle Artes Novelty” and “Charme Rose Meadow Lark”), cherry blossoms and I am Roses paper roses.
- Tim Holtz Alterations die ” Weathered clock”
- Sizzix Sizzlets alphabet die “Cute as a Button”
- Spellbinders Shapeabilities die D-Lites “Garden Weave”
- Memory Box die “Rounded Fence”
- Dala acrylic gesso
- Dale acrylic texture paste
- Heritage modge podge
- Background stencil (Unknown)
- Lyra-Rembrandt Aquarelle water-color pencils
- Tim Holtz distress inks “Victorian velvet” and “Stormy sky”
- PSX embossing powder “Verdigris” and “Rose”
- Cosmic Shimmer Vintage Mist “Antique Rose”
- Skwiglues glitter “Crystal”
Thanks so much for visiting, I hope you like what you see. For everyone who so kindly leave a comment – this is so much appreciated. Have a wonderful day and happy crafting.
Regards from South Africa,